Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Thrifty Decorating. Bringing Nature Home

            Red and white roses. (Courtesy of The Graphics Fairy)

My favourite subject at the moment is that of 'The Resourceful Home-maker' I think this is because, simply deciding to be resourceful seems to trigger so many ideas that one can hardly keep up with them! So often,there is no need to go shopping for mass-produced items. The alternatives can be much more enriching, more beautiful, cheaper, and mean more to the family. Resourcefulness is one of the greatest skills you can teach your children and it will stand them in good stead all of their lives - whatever the economic environment around them.

The beauty of nature is everywhere, even in the busiest city. In fact, taking the time to observe it, brings refreshment to the heart, and contentment to the soul.

  And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Matthew 6:28-29


But why not bring some of that amazing beauty into the home?

Of course, one must be sure not to take things which belong to others, but there are so many touches of nature which can become 'pretty touches for the home' In the picture above, I collected some stunning oak leaves that had fallen from the tree, still attached to a bit of twig. Later, I will have a go at sketching them into my (very amateur) nature notebook. I would like to make a post on nature notebooks one day soon.
The busiest wife or mother could take time to pick up one or two pine cones each day on her way to the shops/store/visiting...Placed in a basket or bowl they would be so pretty

How about a bowl of shells on a small table? These are ornaments that are not only attractive, but older children can also PLAY with them. Isn't that nicer than playing with plastic toys?


When feeling out of sorts or stressed, the feel of shells, leaves, pine cones and other natural things can be very soothing.

The nice thing about nature in the home, is that each week, month or season brings new treasures to brighten the home and delight the family. House-plants too, are pretty and uplifting to use in the home. Some plants, like the Spider Plant below, keep making 'babies' and you may soon have lots to give away as gifts to family and friends!



Ash leaves and Rosehips


This posting is getting rather long, so I will just finish with a picture of the large jug (pitcher) on my windowsill, in which we placed some teasels from the field.



Happy, resourceful home-making home-makers.


I would love to hear from you. Please post your comments and ideas below.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful Creator we serve! I too love the things He has created.
    I love to take a small flower or plant and put it in a bowl and surround it
    with moss from our woods. It keeps the plant moist for a long time and looks so pretty! Thank you for another wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carol. Thank you for your idea of surrounding plants with moss. We don't have woods nearby but next time we visit some woods, I'll remember to gather some moss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love natural decorating! One of my favorite memories is of a time when a local church was trimming their evergreens and allowed me and my daughters to take some of their trimmings. The house smelled wonderful -- like piney woods!

    Donna H. in USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so nice Donna - and so much better that artificial air fresheners!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to your post on nature journaling! I would like to do more of that with my daughter! One nice thing about decorating with things from nature is that when the seasons change and you want a new look, natural things can be returned to nature and do not have to be stored in bins and take up precious space!

    ReplyDelete