Saturday, 29 December 2012

An English Cream Tea

Will you join me for a traditional English 'Cream Tea' afternoon?



Cream Teas

A 'Cream Tea', rather confusingly, is not a cup of tea, taken with cream and sugar. (You will know from this blog that mostly, tea is taken with milk.) The Cream Tea, refers to a special treat we indulge in on sunny days at the seaside. As it is gloomy and wintry today, I thought you might like to take a summery seaside day-trip with me. What a pretty little cabin above!



Port Isaac Tea Shop
You never know where you will find a cosy teashop. This one is in Cornwall. They call them 'Cornish cream teas' here.


cream tea shop

But there are lots in Devon too - only they are called 'Devonshire Cream teas' : ) Actually you will find tea-shops selling their version of cream teas in seaside towns mainly in the West-country of England, and also in Wales.




Home-baked scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream.
A cream tea includes - Home-baked scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream


Cream Tea
And a pot of tea for two. Sometimes eaten outside if the weather is hot.


Clotted Cream
This is a pot of well-known clotted cream. It tastes so good.

This link takes you to information about clotted cream. http://www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/food/clotted.htm

Oh, oh, oh, it's too delicious! Sometimes holiday-makers have pots of clotted cream delivered to their family or friends back home

I have just discovered that there is a company who will ship to America! http://www.britishdelights.com/cream.htm
(I have had another look at this link and the cream is in a jar, and has a long life, so I'm not sure if it will taste the same as fresh clotted cream.)

CIMG0149

Now we might take a gentle stroll along the promenade to end our perfect afternoon.

Ladies, if you are thinking of visiting  England and experiencing a cream tea, please do a little research on the best teashops. One or two may not come up to expectations, but there are many tea-shops who will give you a lovely tea. try the smaller, independent tea-shops if you are in doubt.

Happy tea-time, ladies

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Lydia. I thought you might like it : )

      Delete
  2. I adore clotted cream. Delicious with mince pies too for a festive cream tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this was so deligthful! I truly wish I could be there to enjoy it in your sweet presence :)

    Thank you, sweet friend!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the teas look so beautiful! I love going to tea rooms... The beach scene is so romantic...

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went home this past August with my son. One of the first things I did was to have the cream tea. Forget the tea give me the cream. Oh boy, we had a tea for two (my cousin and me) it consisted of sandwiches cut into little squares and two scones that were full of golden raisins, strawberry preserves and cream of boy. There was a chocolate cake and some other dainty. I went right for the cream. Well I did eat the sandwiches first. Had no room for the cake after the scone and cream.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a yummy treat it must be. You lovely gals from England are wonderfully blessed.Tea and the cream looks so delicious.
    Happy New Year!
    Loved the post so much!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your comments. They are so encouraging. Happy New Year to all you lovely ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made up my mind to come to England and enjoy all those tea places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you will come and visit us : )

      Delete
  9. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-17-and-secret.html



    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, a cream tea sounds just wonderful. Thanks for visiting me - I signed up to follow you. Looking forward to seeing what you're up to in 2013...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you ladies for all your encouraging words

    ReplyDelete