Saturday, 1 December 2012

Thrifty make. 'Be of Good Cheer' Book





Yes, the angle makes it look lopsided but it IS straight!

Sample page - unfinshed

Sample page


This is an idea for making something useful and also using fabric and paper craft scraps we have lying around. Mine is entitled 'Be of Good Cheer', but of course, you can call yours whatever your choose.

If you are like me, you come across beautifully uplifting poetry, cheering pictures and images, and inspirational bible verses or quotes. Wouldn't it be nice to have a little book to collect them all together? With a decorated cover, you could keep it on view, easy to hand. When days are dark and wintry - or you are feeling a little despondent, you can take a dose of instant cheerfulness simply by perusing its pages.


You can use any notebook you like, but hardback is best. Mine is  feint-lined A5 size.

So I hope that you will excuse the poor quality of some of the images, (The light - and my photographic skills, are poor today) and have fun 'making over' your plain book

First cut your fabric scrap to size. You'll want it to cover the spine and a bit of the front and back of the book.


Before you stick the fabric over the spine, glue a sheet of paper onto the front and back cover. I had some shiny red paper in my stash, so I used that.

Then stick some borders around the edges. Tuck them under the fabric and stick the fabric down with glue. In fact, a generous amount of paper glue stick will do the job well for both fabric and borders.

Glue another sheet of coloured or patterned paper on the inside covers of the book. Make a little crease with your finger and make sure it sticks down well.



Do you have any ribbon lying around? You can glue it down over the edge of the fabric on the front cover. Now you can play around with your pretty embellishments until you are happy. Stick them down well. PLEASE do not worry if your book looks somewhat amateur. You are using up all sorts of leftovers and it probably will look amateur. As long as it makes you smile - then it is perfect

Finish off with a name label and your book is almost ready

Use any embellishments, images, card toppers, you may have left over from projects, to pretty up some of the inside pages. If you are feeling very energetic, you can colour borders on the pages too.

REMEMBER, ladies. You cannot use images that do not make you smile, just for the sake of using them up.

Now, all that is left to do, is to begin filling your book with all sorts of cheerfulnesses. If you make a mistake when writing out a verse or something, don't worry. You can carefully remove the page, or just stick an embellishment, or image over it and no one will be any the wiser.

Have a cheerful day, ladies

Do any of you have something like this passed down from your mothers or grandmothers? I would love to know



6 comments:

  1. Such a lovely craft to make! I love my "illustrated journals" and commonplace books that I've stuck quotes and pictures in. My grandmother had a few scrap books full of poetry and photos, some of her own included, that I have inherited and I love them very much.

    Have a blessed Sabbath,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marqueta. It is so nice to hear about your own illustrated books and the scrapbooks you've inherited from your grandmother. I hope my own grandchildren will love reading mine too

    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so precious! What a fantastic idea!

    Blessings
    Mrs. White
    The Legacy of Home

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you dear Mrs. B and Mrs White. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my friend! I have missed visiting you.
    I love your "Be Of Good Cheer" book...what a clever and lovely idea! I will have to make me one :)
    I hope you are doing well.

    Hugs to you,
    Stephanie
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete