Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Home-making Inspiration. First Impressions

Independence Avenue. (Susanriosdeisgns.com)
I have to admit that I am so enjoying this subject, that I couldn't wait to look for more artwork that might inspire and motivate our home-making in 2013.

Not being able to decide which of two pictures to choose for 'First Impressions', I have opted for both and have made this post into two parts. Here is another gorgeous work by Susan Rios entitled 'Independence Avenue'. (I have had to make this larger so the image is a little blurry - which gives it a dreamy quality I think!) It is clear that anyone would be most enchanted by the first impression they have of this house. Maybe there is a little wooden gate with a latch that we lift, and then we can walk a short distance along old, but clean-swept flagstones to the small shady porch. The home-maker here may have pretended to be a visitor to her own house, checking that her gate is in good working condition and clean- painted, or, if unpainted, the wood  varnished and maintained. It is a funny thing that gates and mailboxes and so on, become invisible to those who see them every day - but are very visible to others who pass that way.

  I am reminded of that old adage 'A stitch in time, saves nine'. How good it can feel to lovingly polish and maintain these items, when you know what an impression they will make. Maybe then they wouldn't be invisible to the home-maker any more. Every time she looked at them, she would feel happy and contented that they didn't appear neglected. A daily sweep of the path doesn't have to be a chore, but can be a labour of love. A swish over with a besom broom each morning - and it's done.

The visitor to this delightful house could not fail to be cheered by the many pots of flowers and greenery climbing up the house and tumbling around in glorious abundance. Wherever we call home has a place for plants and flowers somewhere. Do not be discouraged if you have planted lots of flowers, but it doesn't look much like the garden here. I didn't realise that gardens take a few years to become fully established. It is a good idea to plant things that will have some colour all year round, climb up walls, fences or trellis, and hang a basket or two from the walls.

As I look at 'Independence Avenue' I wonder why it looks so friendly and inviting. Is it the well-maintained path and general cared-for look of the place? Is it the bombardment of flowers that greet the eyes? (and the fragrances the greet the nose) perhaps the tastefully arranged pots, or that hard edges and corners have been softened by natural greenery. My personal opinion is that the Home-maker has enjoyed, loved, considered and spent time creating this inviting, fragrant first impression for her family, visitors, people passing by, the weary soul and the weary spirit in need of refreshment. She has a heart for home-making.



I could not resist adding this sweet artwork by Stephen Darbishire. 'On Guard' It has a quaint 'English Cottage' appeal. Purposely a little overgrown, yet you feel welcome and want to scamper in with the puppy and join the family for a large pot of tea and slab of cake fresh from the oven!

www.stephen-darbishire.com

The second part of 'First Impressions' will feature another Susan Rios work. I hope to post it in a day or two. 

Happy home-making ladies. www.susanriosdesigns.com

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture and lovely post, my dear.

    Your black cat is quite fun to play with - my son enjoyed watching the cat play with the "mouse" :)

    I hope you are doing well. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie - you too.

      Hugs x

      Delete
  2. I responded to your comment on my blog but figured I'd pop over here and see what you were up to!

    I love these pictures. Gorgeous. I especially love the puppy in the front, lol!

    I used to have a huge, lovely flower garden in front of my house but it got to be to much for me. I miss the garden but not the work, lol!

    Maybe someday I will add a few flower pots or maybe a few flowers again, but never as big as it was. I think flowers are welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you Nan. It is a good point that gardens can be a lot of work. I have a small garden and I'm always surprised how much care it needs. I find it more pleasant to potter around for a short while as often as I can to keep things ticking over.

      Delete
  3. You write so beautifully. I could just imagine it. You have inspired me today. Thank you. Have a very blessed week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs A. You have a lovely blog too : )

      Hugs x

      Delete