Monday, 9 December 2013

More Images from 1896



Alice Barber - Christmas On New York City Fifth Avenue 1896


After posting yesterday's painting 'Preparing for Christmas 1896', I looked around for some more images from that time.

Those dresses would have kept the ladies warm, trapping the warm air around their legs. Who else has noticed that trousers do not keep you as warm as long skirts? I certainly have. Amid all the hustle and bustle, the ladies have an air of quiet dignity. Nowadays, women could not even keep hats on their heads because they are rushing around at an impossible pace. One of these days I will wear a simple version hat, and start a trend









Isn't it nice to see men and women enjoying an activity together, with no one trying to grab the attention and show off, or create discord and tension by dressing immodestly?













I think this is a woman of influence and power. Six children safe and secure, a result of her calm, gentle nature. Contrast that today with the stress and anxiety of over-excited, spoilt children, after too many school parties, school 'discos' and sweets, and who go to bed when they feel like it.






Many of us are now busy in the kitchen and with the family. Blogging must take a back seat until the New Year. Let's enjoy our Christmas home-making







http://thegraphicsfairy.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/_CarNcodpCMA/TRAS6NfM3VI/AAAAAAAAKKk/fbq23GDf67o/s1600/victorianchristmas-clipart-graphicsfairy010.jpg


Wishing all my dear home-making friends, a peaceful and joyful Christmas








I have no intention of breaching copyright with any of my images here. If I have inadvertently done so, please let me know and I will remove them immediately. Thank you

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for this lovely post. I really enjoy your blog. I wear skirts all the time now. I am in my 50's and for the first time I am totally warm in the winter. I also wear a hat and I find that I stand straighter and walk more like a lady with it on my head. I wear long capes with hoods on the coldest days and they are nice and warm and toasty underneath. I hope you have a blessed holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments, Susan.
      I love reading this and am interested in the fact that you wear hats, and how it affects how you feel and walk, Long capes and hoods are something I haven't thought of for myself, but I am now. Blessing to you, Lesley x

      Delete
  2. Hi Lesley,
    I loved reading your comments on the pictures!
    About hats, I wear a brimmed hat when in town, in winter. I wear it to keep warm, but also I have noticed that brimmed hats frame a face so beautifully, that little other adornment is necessary ( a bit of lip color, perhaps).

    have a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lili. I think it is true about brimmed hats framing the face. I have furry winter, Russian style hats which I like, and brimmed summer hats, but I would like to find some suitable for spring and autumn, that are feminine, but don't make you look you are going to a wedding - or are very expensive. Thank you for your Comments and Christmas wishes. I wish you the same lovely Christmas

      Delete
  3. I love old fashioned pictures!! I so wish that style of dress was still popular. I do not care for trends these days. The styles in these photos are beautiful.

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mrs U. . I enjoy your blog too : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these pictures. Your insight that goes along with it is excellent! Thank you!
    Blessings
    Mrs. White
    The Legacy of Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs White. I really enjoyed finding these images and making the little blogpost

      Many blessings to you too : )

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos! I too, have found that wearing skirts is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. People think I'm crazy...I say that is OK. I'm warm and that is what matters :) A hooded cape sounds interesting too. I've always loved the look.....hmm...maybe I should add one of these to my Christmas wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Vickie, I know LadyLydia (homeliving blog) has made some hooded capes in the past, if we don't get one for Christmas, maybe we can make one : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet post. I think we as a society tend to think we need to rush, rush, rush! There is no time for anything. So sad. I have felt rushed for days trying to get shopping and baking and Christmas parties to attend and gosh I'm all ready tired and I haven't even got it all accomplished yet. I don't like that feeling and I think we all need to take time to rest and to ACTUALLY enjoy the season.

    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and just remember to take time and rest!

    Blessings to you,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. I will take your advice and take time and rest. It is something we all need to encourage each other with. I wish you a peaceful and restful Christmas

      Delete
  9. Hello, This is a very sweet post. As a young woman I did have a hooded cape it was a black velvet. It was lovely and I felt beautiful in it! I almost always wear skirts, but occasionally I will wear pants when working outside!
    I am learning to stay calm and composed even when I feel a bit overwhelmed... a work in progress :)
    Merry Christmas Dear Friend! Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all a work in progress aren't we : ) But still beloved children of our gentle Heavenly Father. Merry Christmas dear Roxy.

      Delete
  10. What a delightful post, Lesley! It's been a while since I've visited so I enjoyed scrolling through your previous posts - you always have such sweet words to say and you share wonderful vintage pictures - love it!

    If I wear warm, thick tights and boots in the Winter than I find I am warmer than when I wear a pair of jeans, but I freeze if I don't wear the tights or boots :) I love wearing dresses and skirts in the Summertime - I feel so feminine.

    Blessings to you, my friend. Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also enjoy this post. This has been one of our quieter Christmases and the most pleasant for a long time. I am really working on keeper our home peaceful and stressless and what a difference it makes.
    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete