Sunday, 8 December 2013

Preparation for Christmas - 1896, Dosekin




Preparation for Christmas, 1896 (oil on canvas)





Yesterday we visited my mother-in-law. She is 86, and as spritely and bright as ever, still enjoying her car, and is an excellent driver. I do not like to drive at all, so I'm rather in awe of her. After a delicious meal, she brought out her sewing and knitting supplies. It was wonderful to look through the vintage needle-cases and pieces of lace, all neatly stored in a beautifully crafted,  hinged sewing box which she had bought in Germany in 1956









 I was thrilled when she gave me this box of silks that had been her mother's. They are around 80 years old, and the colours appear as vibrant as if they were new.








I have promised to embroider with them and send her a picture. She will be happy to know they have been used and loved




I was also given some old knitting needles, some in Imperial sizing, which I love, and crochet hooks and good pinking shears - . They remind me of when I was a little girl.



















To add to my delight, My husband made me a Christmas Wreath to hang outside the house. He used Holly, evergreen leaves, willow, and all sorts, collected from the fields and hedgerows.



10 comments:

  1. What a gift those silks are..sounds like a special visit with a very special lady :) I like your wreath too...very pretty.....Merry Christmas....God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelley - and a Merry Christmas to you x

      Delete
  2. What lovely threads, and such a meaningful gift from your grandmother! I have inherited a darning egg that makes me think of my grandmother every time I see it. And your husband made a beautiful wreath! Perhaps I will be inspired to take a pair of pruning shears on my next walk with Piper...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Quinn : )

      That's the lovely thing isn't it? These things remind us of those precious people in our lives

      Delete
  3. I cherish the minimal things I have from my Granny. I have some of her embroidery hoops, sewing patterns and finished pieces.. She was excellent at these things. I'm glad you got such a wonderful gift.
    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy Jo - Merry Christmas x

      Delete
  4. Hello, I was amazed at the fine quality of that silk thread! I think she knew you would treasure it! And the lovely wreath that your Hubby made it so festive.
    Sorry I have not been around much, as my computer was not working well, then my internet was down. I hope you have a wonderful and Blessed Christmas!
    Blessings Always, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Roxy, Very often I cannot visit other blogs, or even update my own because life gets in the way. We just do what we can, when we can. Wishing you a joyful and peaceful Christmas x

      Delete
  5. What gorgeous silk thread. I just wanted to reach into the screen and touch them, looking at them closer. But I am a thready and love all things thread. Sounds like you have received some beautiful and meaningful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I often feel that way when I see beautiful yarns and fabric - I just want to touch them

      Delete